- Lying in bed reading. Wife is sleeping. I look up, and see a mouse moving from bedroom entrance to the closet area. I swear, it seems as if the mouse stops for a second and looks at me, and then keeps going.
- Lying on sofa next to wife watching television. I feel something on my side. Is it the tassel from the blanket? But I keep feeling something and so I pull up my t-shirt and look and for a brief second I swear I can see something run under the sofa cushion.
- A little while later, my wife and I hear rustling in the kitchen where we keep our trash and recycling. I go into the kitchen, and when I turn on the light I see the mouse run away.
- My wife starts cleaning the apartment at 10pm on New Year's Eve. We have a few of the sticky mouse traps, the flat cardboard traps with super-adhesive material. I place two in the kitchen and one in the living room.
- We hear the mouse in trash again, but even though I go into the kitchen and inspect, I never see the mouse.
- Wake up. Wife says she heard squeaking during the night and thinks the mouse is caught.
- A few minutes later, I hear wife in kitchen screaming, and she runs into bedroom.
- Go to kitchen and find mouse stuck in trap and struggling.
- Put plastic bag around mouse and trap and tie the bag, and stick in trash
- Take trash with mouse and put outside at building garbage site
- Wife reads that you can pour vegetable oil on mouse and trap, which will allow the mouse to detach from trap.
- Retrieve mouse, which is still alive, and tear bag open. Take mouse to park.
- Pour oil on the mouse and on the trap. The mouse is able to pry itself a little, but needs assistance, so I help pry mouse from trap.
- Mouse seems in bad shape. It tries to move but falls to its side a couple of times. Seems like its leg is broken, if such a thing is possible. I stay for a while, and it seems possible it's reviving, but I'm unsure if it will make it.
- Several hours later I return. At first, I don't see it, and I'm happy, thinking it got better enough to scurry away. Then, I see it. It's dead.